Wednesday 19 May 2010

A Little Bit of Paradise...along with a few blisters

As soon as we finished finals we headed down to Havasupai.  I had been anticipating this trip for months and using it as a motivator to get me through those last few tough weeks of finals.  The trip really was amazing, a beautiful place with lots of my favorite people.  Sam and Reagan planned the trip and invited Dal and I.  Sam's brother Fred, Reagan's sister Bryan and my sister McKell came as well.  In order to truly have a siblings trip we were only missing Taylor.  Clint and Caden were part of the party too.  We got a little lost and had to drive around about a third of the Grand Canyon, but when we finally arrived at 1:30 in the morning, after an 11 hour drive, we were ready to start hiking in :).
After hiking for a couple hours we were pretty tired so we camped on the trail under a big rock overhang.  It was a little cold...ok really cold...and I woke up to every hiker that passed but I was so glad to be out of the suburban and lying down that it didn't even matter.


The next morning we got into the Indian village.  I couldn't wait to take my pack off :) But, after registering we still had another two miles to hike down into the campground.  But from there we could see the river and we got our first view of this: 




We spent the next two days at the bottom of the grand canyon, swimming and playing in the beautiful blue green water, relaxing and playing games.  Oh, and eating dehydrated food (that part actually wasn't even that bad).  On the second day we went on an awesome hike down the river where we played in smaller waterfalls all along the way.  I loved every minute.  








Dallin fell in love with all of the frogs and the card game "scum" (which we played with princess cards). We also had fun exploring some of the smaller canyons and caves up in the rock walls of the canyons.  We didn't want to leave, especially because that meant an 11 mile hike back up out of the canyon with some pretty mean switchbacks.  After getting to the top we collectively decided it was one of the hardest things we had ever done.  And that's why we came home with blisters.

3 comments:

Aubs said...

What a fun trip. Love the beautiful pictures. I can't picture Cam & I ever going there since were not much of campers so I'm glad you took such great pictures for me to look at. I love the color of the water. Amazing!

Jane Ann Fosson said...

Yay! I have been waiting for this post. The trip sounds so incredible. I'm glad you guys got to live out our dream. We had been talking of going for forever, ever since Reagan had described it so vividly long ago. It looks just how she said it would, and you guys are hard core. Those packs don't look light, but what am I saying--you guys are rockstars!

McKell Murdoch said...

I'm glad my feet made the blog haha